To apply for a position listed below or to seek information regarding other employment opportunities with the City of Lexington, please visit City Job Opportunities. We welcome your application!
Sign up for eNews to be notified by email when City job opportunities are available!
Public Relations Director
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$55,242 - $90,155, plus excellent benefits
- Posted Date:11/26/2019 4:30 PM
Lexington, NC, striving to be a #CityofChoice and a #WorkplaceofChoice, is seeking an extraordinarily talented, self-motivated, collaborative and creative public relations professional to join #OneCityTeam and catapult the City’s well established branding, events, urban initiatives and authenticity across multiple digital and media platforms.
Desired candidate must possess the following skill set:
• Confident, collaborative communicator and presenter
• Exceptional writing, editing, proofreading, layout and creative design abilities to articulate cohesive brands and messaging
• Superior organizational, project and time management skills
• A wide degree of creativity across multiple digital platforms (social media, photography, videography, graphic design)
• Strong understanding of current trends and talent to manage social media
• Self-motivated with a strong work ethic and a positive and professional approach to management
• Graduation from an appropriately accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, journalism, or related field; Master’s degree preferred;
• 3-5 years of experience in public relations, communications, or related field; with supervisory or project management experience preferred;
• Photography, graphic design and videography experience preferred;
• Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered;
• Valid NC driver’s license and good driving record.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills, with strong ability to communicate complex ideas effectively;
• Strong knowledge of current trends in digital social media and policy;
• Knowledge of webmaster and digital/social media skills; technological knowledge comprising website content development and management, and social media; including legal implications of social networking;
• Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational skills;
• Experience developing and managing budgets and projects;
• Knowledge of MS Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop or similar, as well as analytical/survey tools similar to Google Analytics;
• Basic photography, graphic design, video and visual art skills;
• Ability to gather and analyze City facts and service levels on a variety of subject matters; and to comprehend, assemble and present concise information, reports, educational videos and presentations;
• Knowledge of composing and editing, including writing news releases;
• Ability to collaborate, independently solve problems and initiate action within scope of responsibilities, communicate, and implement effectively;
• Ability to bridge content across various digital channels and settings to deliver a unified customer experience and engage an audience;
• Project management and event coordination skills; with ability to establish positive community and media relations;
• Ability to adapt to rapidly changing business environment, multi-task and exercise initiative, dependability and independent judgment;
• Exhibit high degree of integrity, respect for confidentiality, and commitment to City’s core values, goals, branding and strategic vision;
• Exhibit exemplary professionalism, interpersonal and collaborative skills;
• Ability to establish and maintain extraordinary team oriented professional relationships with City officials, partner agencies, news media and the general public;
• Ability to contribute to a welcoming and inclusive workplace through positive contributions, supporting a culture of respect, and valuing the differences and efforts of all team members;
• Ability to meet and deal courteously with the public, exhibiting extraordinary professionalism and customer service skills; and
• Ability to attend work regularly with a strong work ethic, including flexible hours due to weekend and evening events, functions and emergency situations;
• Ability to maintain a welcoming and inclusive workplace through positive modeling, mentoring, fostering a culture of respect for all, and valuing the differences and contributions of all team members.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS
• Write and edit for content across digital communication platforms including intranet, City website, social media, YouTube, and government television Channel 13;
• Develop photographic images, video, graphics and visual communications for digital channels and the media in accordance with unified strategic branding;
• Serve as City webmaster and social media manager;
• Ensure a cohesive look and consistent message on all materials carrying the City’s name, branding and/or logos;
• Collaborate with City departments to enhance internal and external communications and activities, including serving as lead content editor and manager for the intranet, website, and social media;
• Develop citizenry educational outreach programs and public relations messaging in conjunction with the City’s mission, branding and strategic vision;
• Produce relevant and timely information that supports projects aimed at informing, educating and engaging citizens, customers, employees, public officials and stakeholders;
• Collaborate with partner agencies to deliver strategic direction and communication support;
• Write, edit and design print and video publications for internal and external audiences, including employee communications, delivering public engagement speeches, brochures and service directories, newsletters, blogs, memos, and print-ready media releases;
• Design, produce and distribute publications and other marketing materials to ensure accurate articulation and representation of the City’s desired message and image;
• Establish and maintain regular contact with target print and broadcast media to facilitate media interest in the City and appropriately respond to media requests;
• Promote goodwill through publicity efforts, such as speeches, exhibits, tours, and question/answer sessions, etc.;
• Act as a representative of the City including delivering speeches for community projects and various public, social and business gatherings;
• Disseminates and communicates issues of critical importance to the public and media, including specialized communication responsibilities during critical/emergency events;
• Serve as City leadership liaison to coordinate with public relations firms, partner agencies and media outlets;
• Serve as City leadership liaison to plan, orchestrate and attend City functions, public engagements, or participation in community events;
• Assist with City Administration departmental responsibilities in a team oriented environment;
• Serve as City spokesperson, key liaison and ambassador for City officials;
• Respond to inquiries, public records requests and complex issues from City officials and the general public exhibiting extraordinary professionalism, communication and customer service techniques;
• Present information to City Officials and Boards as necessary; and
• Perform related tasks as required.
Indirect oversight, coordination and project management with partner agencies and City staff.
This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds occasionally to move objects. The worker must be able to maneuver around inside the office, reach with the hands and arms in any direction, crouch, grasp and perform repetitive motions of the fingers, wrists and hands. Visual acuity is required to determine accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of work, observe general surroundings and activities, and to prepare and analyze written or computer data. Communication is required to receive and convey detailed information by telephone and in person.
Schedule flexibility is required for attending meetings and City events, and during storms or emergency events. Master’s degree and multilinguist preferred. Photography, graphic design and visual arts preferred.
Application and instructions are available here. Completed applications may be submitted electronically to Jobs@Lexingtonnc.gov, or mailed to City of Lexington, P.O. Box 1615, Lexington, NC 27293 or in person at 711 S. Talbert Blvd., Lexington, NC. Preference given to applications that apply by December 23, 2019 with position open until filled. Applications are also taken at the NCWorks Career Center, 220 E 1st Ave, Lexington, NC 27292.
Applicants offered employment will be asked to participate in a drug screening.
The City of Lexington does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, genetic information or non-disqualifying disability in employment or the provision of services.