Traditionally in February every year, Lexington City Council holds a retreat and collectively sets goals for the community for the coming fiscal year which begins July 1st. The City Council and City Administration implement these goals by using them as the framework for building an annual budget, giving directives to City of Lexington departments, setting service levels and crafting policies. It is important to convey that oftentimes, City Council's goals for the community span multiple years due to the complexity and the long range vision applied in setting the future direction for Lexington.
In February 2018, City Council established the following as the Top 10 Goals for Fiscal Year 2018-2019:
1. Sustain an environment that grows the economy, increases tax base and fosters entrepreneurial opportunities
2. Expand recreational opportunities for citizens
3. Focus efforts on improving the City’s appearance and supporting development of “green” initiatives
4. Advocate for passenger rail stop in Depot District
5. Create and support programs that will prepare students for good citizenship, successful future and jobs
6. Enhance government services while maintaining City’s financial integrity
7. Partner with key stakeholders to expand cultural arts and entertainment options
8. Cultivate partnerships with growing minority populations
9. Attract and retain a diverse and inclusive professional staff that is highly trained and skilled
10. Revitalize housing and strengthen neighborhoods
Additional information across the website is linked for your convenience and accomplishments are updated periodically. Be sure to Sign up for eNews to follow the latest progress reports on fulfilling City Council's objectives for the citizens of Lexington. You may also follow progress on Facebook or Twitter!